Monday night I went to a class about composting put on by the Mont.Co. extension office. Colin and I have been wanting to start composting for a while. We eat a lot of fresh produce and there is nothing worse than throwing all of those produce scraps in the trash. I was on the extension website a few weeks ago looking at gardening information and I happened across something very exciting. PA has a state wide initiative to reduce municipal waste by 35%! Part of the way they plan to do this it to teach people how to compost all of those leaves and yard scraps, in addition to food scraps. Awesome! Mont.Co. has a grant from the horticulture department at Penn State to purchase
composters that they
raffle off at free classes that they offer to teach people how to properly compost.
I couldn't pass up the chance to win a free
composter, and get educated on how to properly compost. You can compost in pretty much anything provided you can mix and get enough air flow through the pile, but in our
tiny little yard a big pile of decomposing material would be an eyesore. Better than the creepy white van parked in the backyard a few doors down, but an eyesore none the less.
The good news is I got a free
composter..."The Earth Machine" I think I love it even more because that is it's name. They had 15 to raffle off at the class I went to and only 14 people showed up!

I can't wait to make some "black gold" for our little garden next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment