Monday, May 19, 2008

Tenant(s) of the Year

In case anybody was wondering Colin and I are tenants of the year. Well, actually, Colin G is tenant of the year, I'm just his side kick, which is fine since side kicks generally get to ride in that rad little side car.

We had a nasty little flood in our basement this weekend. There is one word to describe the 10"-12" of water that filled our "basement" and that is mut-a-rific. By that I mean the water was definitely capable of mutating whatever had the unfortunate opportunity to touch it. I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing 8 legged mice cruising around or if I'm lucky maybe a foot long roach. It was so very foul. Not sewage foul, just dank water foul. Like a stagnant, murky pond in our basement.

Long story short the contractors working on the adjacent house left the water on. Well I guess technically the water was not "on" in the typical sense of the word. There was no water flowing forth out of the hose since the nozzle was shut off. That is, until the hose decided to burst, spewing water all over the first floor which ran into the basement, which then flowed into our basement.

It poured rain all day which made it difficult to determine where the water was coming from. Good thing for super sleuth Colin G who discovered the hose in the house next door, and who also discovered the 2 ft of water in the basement next door. At midnight. Then our hero-tenant called the water company to get the water shut off. And got the sump pump that was floating on a pallet in our basement and started pumping the water out.

Enter side kick.

I did some investigating and found our landlord's home number on-line (we only had his cell phone). We called him at about 12:30. Poor guy. He drove down from his house about 45 min away. He was surprisingly not pissed at the contractors. Well, just a little. Especially since they weren't going to be back until Tuesday.

Colin and landlord had manly bonding time over sump-pumps and rancid water until 3:30am. What a model tenant. I, on the other hand, went to bed. But not without requesting that hero-tenant Colin G take a SHOWER before crawling into bed with his side kick, to which he obliged. Thankfully.

And that was our Friday night. Pretty awesome.

2 comments:

Al said...

That's a new experience for your hubby. Florida houses have no basements! Taking the "long view," be happy that isn't YOUR basement. What will the landlord use to treat the mold? That should smell lovely. Hope you didn't have anything of value down there.

Anonymous said...

Your landlord should give you a cut in rent next month, maybe one month free, for discovering this problem and acting upon it before major damage was done! Yes, Colin deserves the "tenant of the year" award! Conni